- You have more to do today than can possibly be accomplished even if you were Wonderwoman.
- Your boss must think you are Wonderwoman because he keeps piling the work on you.
- Teachers expect you to be WonderMom because they give your kids homework that is impossible for even a rocket scientist to grasp.
- Even if you wanted to be Wonderwoman your shoulders are collapsing from the load.
- You know the Wonderwoman inside you is somewhere but she is hidden beneath all your problems.
Life just wouldn’t be life as we know it if it weren’t for problems. We know that. Yet we continue to live our daily lives trying to jostle around them, feeling frustrated by them, and allowing them to steal our joy. Maybe you have lost sight that you are a woman, life is wonderful, and you are filled with the wonder of God’s love and peace. Try these steps to allow the Wonderwoman in you to emerge once again:
- What are the problems and situations that are keeping you from being your best? What makes you just plain tired? What are you frustrated about and wish would just vanish? Get them out of your brain and write them down.
- This is the tough one – acknowledge that these are YOUR problems and you DO have the capacity to handle and resolve them. Ahem…however, there are some problems you have taken on that really belong to someone else – your adult child, your husband, or your friend. Be there for support and encouragement but let them handle their own problems. Don’t try to fix the world.
- Now instead of seeing the wall of problems before you, picture how your life would look if these problems were resolved. How would you live your day? What would relationships look like for you? How would you feel inside? Picture yourself moving throughout your day with joy, peace, laughter, loving interactions, and success.
- Brainstorm solutions and CHOICES you must make in order to experience the life you see in #3. There are lots of ways problems can be solved so make a list and choose one solution to try first. OR many times we simply must CHOOSE a different mindset or way to respond. For example, we can CHOOSE to healthy foods that will help us feel better rather than sugary comfort foods. Yes, a tough choice but remember these are YOUR problems. No one is coming along with a magic wand and waving them away for you. Or if you have a miserable work situation you can CHOOSE to love it anyway or you can choose to make daring new changes so you will like it better or you can choose to get a different job. Write down the different solutions and choices you have then pick one to act on first.
- Identify what you might need more information about to help you solve certain problems. For example, you might need to learn more about how to manage your finances or how to communicate more effectively or effective ways for disciplining kids as they enter different stages. You might also need help from a professional for certain things like dealing with the empty nest or making your marriage better. Do the research, reach out for help and watch your problems be resolved.
The most difficult thing for Wonderwoman is knowing what problems are hers to deal with and trusting that she can handle them. Once she does that then she can set her priorities and move forward by taking steps to put those problems in their place, to choose to alter her perspective or take solution-based actions.
So put that cape back on, look in the mirror and say, “Ta-da!!” and put those problems in their place. There’s a wonderful world to enjoy!