There are a variety of articles circulating that are based on successful men and why they wear the same thing every day. Specifically, the most popular article by Mashable, “Why Zuck and other successful men wear the same thing every day.”
In response to these articles, there’s A LOT of discussion about whether or not women can do the same. Many say women can not, it’s not fair, equality for women still has a long way to go, and so on. As I read through the articles and comments, I knew I had to share my side.
You see, I’m one of those women who wear practically the same thing every day. I have my “signature” black outfit that is made up of black pants and a black shirt. Depending on the day or event, you will either find me in my signature Nike black casual top or my “dressed” up black blouse. And if it’s a really casual day, you will find me in my black yoga pants and Nike black top. Quite frankly, I LOVE my “same” outfits and the freedom of not having to think about it each day provides.
Whether you want to change your approach to fashion is up to you but I’d like to challenge you to uncomplicate an area in your life so that you can focus on the areas that are of highest priority to you.
So, why can successful women wear the same thing every day?
1. They don’t worry about pleasing others: They know who they are and have no desire to live their lives based on the desires of others. They are comfortable in their own skin.
2. They know their self-worth is not based on the latest fashion trends: They know there is so much more to who they are than the clothes they wear.
3. They don’t sweat the small stuff: They know and understand that in life, there are bigger and better things to focus on rather than what they are wearing!
4. They don’t try to keep up with the Joneses: They are not trying to keep up with what everyone else is doing. They are not living their lives based on what everyone is wearing, thinks is fashionable or even, what other people define a successful woman to be. They do their own thing!
5. They are ok with being different: They have no desire to fit in. Instead, they want to stand out! They are true to who they are!
6. They enjoy simplicity in life: They know that life brings a variety of obstacles and challenges and quite frankly, clothes and fashion is not something they want to stress about. Simplicity = less stress.
7. They could care less about what’s fair or not: While everyone else is arguing about what men can get away with and what women can’t, successful women just do their own thing and live life to the fullest.
A woman who wears the same thing everyday is a woman of confidence! She’s successful because she’s not only confident, but she’s focused on what’s really important in her life. You may be the complete opposite when it comes to fashion, (and that won’t make you unsuccessful) but whatever it is in your life that is complicated or frustrating, substitute “that thing” in this discussion and join me in the freedom that awaits on the other, simpler side. For me, it’s more about knowing what I’m here to do and rolling up my sleeves to get to work and not so much about which sleeves I’m rolling up.
I’d love to hear what you think. Do you wear the same things most days? If not, what other areas of your life will you choose to uncomplicate so you can free yourself up for greater success?