I know the thought of building an online platform can be overwhelming. With all the changes, updates, tools, and options, it’s enough to stress you out and honestly, it just feels like a HUGE project that you have no desire to tackle.
I know, I get it.
But this past week, I was once again reminded of how important it is to have an online platform. I decided to apply to be on the book launch team of a very successful speaker and author. As I went through the application and answered the questions, the ones that stood out to me the most where the ones that revolved around my website and social media platforms. I had to share on the application how many Twitter, Facebook and Instagram followers/likes I had and also, the URL of my website.
Why? Because those numbers and those platforms count. The bigger your online platform, the more opportunity you have to share and reach people who might be interested in this author’s upcoming book.
You may be saying to yourself right now, “But Jen, you’ve always said that we shouldn’t focus too much on our numbers and now you’re saying we should? I’m confused.”
There’s a fine line between obsessing over numbers and being determined to build and create an online platform that makes a difference.
So, who needs a platform? Pretty much everyone:
Why do you need a platform? Because it matters. If you really believe in what you have to offer and the difference it can make in the lives of others, there are no excuses; you have to be willing to build that online presence.
- Having a platform gives you the opportunity to share your expertise and gives you visibility: Whether you’re an entrepreneur, speaker, writer, church or school, having an online platform gives you the opportunity to share your expertise with the world, with people who are looking for what you have to offer. You can do this through social media posts, blog posts, your website, in social media groups, etc. People are asking questions that you have the answer to. People are looking for your expertise. And truthfully, people are going to social media to find the answers to the questions they are looking for. Having an online platform gives you a GREAT opportunity to increase your visibility.
- Having a platform gives you the opportunity to share your core message: Yes, you read that correctly, you need to have a core message. But don’t let that stress you out. Coming up with that core message takes time. When I first entered the social media scene, I had NO idea what my core message was. I just knew that I wanted to help and encourage people online. As time when on, I realized that my core message was around helping people to #BeWorthFollowing online. That core message came when I learned more about myself, my passions, the calling that God gave me and how I wanted to make this world a better place.Having a core message sets you apart and it gives people something to connect with you on. It helps build a community of people who are passionate about your message and what you offer.
- Having a platform extends your reach and opens up new doors of opportunities: Never has there been a time in history where we have the opportunity to connect with so many amazing people in our world today. My online platform has opened doors for me to speak, to write, and to share my core message. And my platform has also opened up career opportunities for me. But what I love most is that I’ve had the opportunity to meet people that I would have never of met had it not been for social media. My online platform has opened multiple doors of opportunity and it can do the same for you.
- Having a platform gives you influence: Influence is a great thing, but we have to remember that our influence isn’t about us; it’s about something bigger. It’s about the message that God has given us to share with the world. It’s about the products and services that we know can and will make a difference in someone’s life. It’s about the words that we know will give hope and meaning to so many people who are looking for something in life that matters. Having an online platform gives you influence to really do something good with the gifts, skills and talents that God has given you. I truly believe that our influence is about awaking possibility in others.
- Having a platform gives you the opportunity to make a difference: Having an online platform isn’t about us and how great we are, it’s about making a difference. God didn’t give us our business, ministry and/or organization so that we can be served, but rather, to serve others.
If God has called you (which He has), then it’s vitally important that you share the message and the gifts, skills and talents that He has given you. I know that social media can get confusing. And some days, it’s just hard and we want to quit. But again, if God has called you, then you can’t quit. If you know that you’ve been called, then don’t quit when you don’t see results right away. Building an online platform takes time, persistence and consistency. And when you give it the time and attention it needs, God will use you in ways you never dreamed about.
Have you built an online platform? If so, share the links below! I would love to connect with you!
PS: Did you know that there are some GREAT tools out there that will help you build your online platform much easier? Feel free to download my freebie, “The Top 5 Social Media Tools Every Business Owner Needs.” https://ibloom.co/top5