Does this sound familiar:
“Oh my gosh! I am addicted to Periscope! I can’t get enough of it! You MUST get on it too! It’s the next big thing!”
If you have been on social media for any amount of time, I have no doubt that you have run into these exact words and posts. And I’ll admit, when I first got on Periscope, there was something drawing me in and I was VERY excited about the platform. But then, I soon realized there are some VERY BIG dangers lurking behind this app! Let me explain!
1) Wasted Time: I can’t tell you how many people have posted about the HOURS they are spending on Periscope watching a bunch of scopes from a bunch of people they don’t know. Unfortunately, these are the same people who don’t understand why their businesses are not growing and they don’t understand why they have no income coming in.
Honestly, the hours that are spent watching scopes, can be spent on projects that will help you create income producing products/services.
Think about it, why sit there and listen to scope after scope from people telling you how they are making all of this money, when you yourself should be doing the same thing instead of hearing them talk about all the money they are making?!
2) Fear of Missing Out (FOMO): The problem is, there are SO many people who are fearful of missing out on the proclaimed, “Next big thing.” They fear that if they don’t get on now and get active now, they will miss their chance to make it BIG! So, they allow the chaotic frenzy of a new app, push them to get active, even though their business is dying and just yesterday, they were sharing that they needed more time in their day to accomplish all that is on their plate.
3) Generalist Frenzy: A BIG issue I see in the small business world is more and more business owners are trying to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE and friends, this is just not possible. Trying to be everything to everyone will only cause you more stress. Trying to be on EVERY SINGLE PLATFORM on social media will only cause you more stress and ultimately, will not allow you to focus on what you do best and how you can best serve your clients. Instead of having more generalists, we need more people who are truly differentiating themselves by being known as the expert in specific areas on specific platforms.
4) Expert Status: Be careful with people who are claiming to be an expert on a platform that was just recently released! Yes, if they are known in their specific field, then of course they are going to have a TON of followers and a TON of hearts on Periscope; it’s because they are already known! Don’t fall for the trap that you too will see the same results and don’t get upset when you don’t see yourself getting the same results that they were receiving. Building an online reputation and becoming “known” takes time. Don’t stress yourself out over this!
5) Too much noise: While there are some GREAT scopes on Periscope, I am finding that many people are sharing about the same things or really, nothing at all. Here’s a BIG tip: if you are going to get active on this app, make sure that you stand out! #BeDifferent #BeWorthFollowing The last thing people need is more noise on another platform. Instead, think of ways that you can stand out and make a difference!
6) Notifications will WRECK your day: At one point, I had my notifications on! BIG mistake! Every time someone you follow goes live, your notifications go off! And quite honestly, that is a HUGE distraction that will keep you from working on income producing products and services!
Am I saying that you shouldn’t be on Periscope? Absolutely not! This might be the PERFECT platform for you! And yes, you might find me doing some scopes here and there.
But what I do want to do is to help you realize that just because a “new shiny object” comes out, doesn’t mean you have to jump on it right away. I don’t want you to fall prey to the “frenzy” that is out there. I don’t want you to think that you will be missing out if you don’t get onboard right away!
If you are still wondering if Periscope (or any SM Platform) is right for you, ask yourself these questions:
- Is your audience going to be on this new platform? If not, then it might not be time for you to get on it just yet.
- Do you know how to differentiate yourself from everyone else on that platform? If not, think this through before you try to get active.
- Do you have time to get active on another social media platform? If not, then you need to wait.
Share with me below, are you active on Periscope? Why or why not?