February is the perfect month to show love by helping and serving others. By doing things for others, you are able to express your love and kindness. I recently went through a difficult season; my 30-year marriage ended and I found myself on the other end of the spirit of serving. My family and friends reached out to me with love and concern. I needed them to help me do things I couldn’t do or didn’t know how to do! I found myself in a new and sometimes uncomfortable place… the receiving end of help.
This season of allowing others to serve me proved what I already knew- we are here to be in relationship with God and others and this includes helping each other! It also taught me that serving others doesn’t have to involve huge sums of money or time- you can make a difference in the life of someone with small acts of kindness. Here are some ideas of free or low-cost ways to help and serve others:
- Smile at your waitress, waiter, checkout clerk, etc. and tell them to have a great day!
- Hold the door open for someone.
- Be a good listener- don’t comment or interrupt for at least 5 minutes!
- Call a friend to wish them Happy Birthday instead of texting or emailing. Better yet, sing “Happy Birthday” to them!
- Pay for the cup of coffee or soft drink for the person behind you in line or the drive-thru.
- Watch a friend’s kid(s) while she runs an errand or has some Me- Time!
- Take books or magazines you’ve read to a hospital waiting room or other public place where people have long periods of waiting.
- Offer to pick up someone from your church, Book Club, or other organization that finds night driving difficult.
- Mow a friend’s lawn “just because”!
- Bake cookies of muffins and deliver to your neighbors (a friend recently did this during a snow storm!)
- Whether there’s truth in the old wives tale that chicken soup is healing when you’re sick- the warmth of the food and kindness go a long way to a quick recovery of a family member or friend!
- Double your dinner recipe and take a meal to a friend having a hectic day/week!
There are endless ways to show your love to other folks through serving. What ways have you helped others? How have family members or friends served you? Leave your comments in the section below.
“How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” Anne Frank