Let’s face it, sometimes we just wake up on the wrong side of the bed or step out on the wrong foot or whatever you want to call it! We’re just not running on all cylinders and every little thing seems to require more effort than usual. It is on these mornings, that first we have to recognize that we’re having an off day and then make a choice:
“Do I want to change the course of this day or let it continue to unravel?”
I don’t want to waste a single day God gives me and I hope you don’t either! We aren’t promised beyond this day so why not make it the best it can be? If you find yourself in a bad mood, here are 7 tips that will help you get back on track.
- Have a 5 Minute Pity Party: This one is from my dear iBloom friend Lori Burrell. Take 5 minutes to cry, scream, pout, journal, whatever it takes to get it out of your system. This could be a big, bad thing that has you in a bad mood or it could just be that you are hormonally challenged that day. Either way, it’s OK to give yourself 5 minutes to feel sorry for yourself but when the timer goes off, pick yourself up and choose to have a great day in spite of the challenges.
- Count your blessings: Wherever you are, think about all of the blessings in your life. If you can write them down, that is even better because you will have an ongoing list to continue to add to and give God praise for.
- Encourage someone else: Think of someone who is having a tough time. Do you know someone who is ill, lonely, has recently lost a loved one, or who could use your help? Reach out to them with a phone call, a note, or an act of service. Helping others helps you too.
- Get Out Your Happy Folder: Keep a record of things that make you smile. Is it your kid’s artwork? A letter from your spouse or a parent? An award recognizing you for a job done well? Whatever those things are that remind you that you are loved and appreciated, keep them in a place you can refer to when you need recharged.
- Make Yourself Laugh: Rent a comedy, call a funny friend, watch youtube videos that make you smile, and DVR America’s Funniest Videos. You feel better when you smile and when you laugh so have those funny things ready when you need them.
- Get Moving: Exercise makes you feel better! Turn up the music and dance or get outside and take a walk. Get up and get moving and release those happy endorphins. Even better if you can find a friend to go with you.
- Write Out Your Dream List: Sometimes we get in a rut because we don’t think we have anything to look forward to. Make a list of all of the things you want to do! No limits…just write what you would love to do if time and money didn’t limit you. Then circle some that you can start working towards right now.
Happy Marriage Challenge: Be your spouse’s biggest cheerleader. If you recognize a bad mood coming from your better half, first be willing to attend his 5 Minute Pity Party and then gently encourage him to try out some of the other tips above. Remind him that life it too short to waste even one day.
Some days, I only need one or two of these to get me back on track. Other days I need to go through the full arsenal before I’m doing better. Have a tip you’d like to share with me? I’m always looking to add to my list. Leave a comment below and let me know something that works for you!