Sometimes life just doesn’t make sense. Bad things can and do happen to great people. Life can be hard and on some days you may feel that the whole world has gone crazy and there’s no fixing it. It can leave you scratching your head and can steal your joy, your hope, and your optimism if you aren’t diligent in protecting your heart and your mind. One way to preserve your love for people and your optimism is to choose to look for the helpers in times of tragedy. This is the advice that Mr. Rogers’ mother gave him and it had a profound impact on his life. Then he went on to have a profound impact on the lives of millions: including me.
Fred Rogers’ mother explained to him that while there is always going to be evil in the world, there is also love and goodness too. So when you are faced with tragedy or disaster, look for the helpers. There will be people willing to risk their own safety, resources, and even lose their lives in order to help right the wrong that has been done. On days like today, anniversaries of loss, or in the midst of a fresh wound, remember Mrs. Rogers’ wise words and look for the helpers.
Here are some ways that you can “do something” for good on the days that the enemy meant for evil:
- Be a helper: Choose a cause or a victim that you can positively impact and just get involved
- Send a letter: Write to someone who has experienced loss and encourage them
- Pray: Pray for all that is troubling you. Ask God to inspire you with ways that you can be His light in this world
- Donate: Choose a relief organization or nonprofit that you respect and make a monetary donation so they can continue to be the helpers
- Smile: When you smile, you spread hope, joy, & love. People need more of this in our world!
- Study God’s Promises: Read God’s promises in the Bible to strengthen your faith & restore your hope
My heart goes out to you if you are in the midst of loss or recovering from unthinkable hurt. My hope is that helpers will meet you where you are and will begin to restore your faith; not in this world which is broken and desperately awaiting to be fully restored but in God who is still in control and can bring beautiful things out of the darkest of circumstances. Trust Him to restore you and to inspire and equip helpers to serve you in your time of need.