As your coach for the day, I’m giving you permission to leave behind concerns that are weighing you down. It’s time to unload excess “weight’ in the form of optional activities, draining people and limiting behaviors. We make goals. We clean our homes. We schedule events on the calendar. We cut out unhealthy foods – well, at least for the most part. NOW it’s time to leave behind concerns that are unnecessarily weighing you down. Let go. Release. Unleash. Discharge. Liberate yourself. Become freer, lighter, more of the WHO you want to BE.
I hear that tiny voice in your head, “But how? They are commitments. If I do, won’t I be a failure or let people down?” Okay, maybe this will help. I am your Life Coach. I give you permission to let go of situations and people that are unnecessarily weighing you down.
I watched one of my kids lugging around an overstuffed backpack. I was truly concerned for her shoulders and back. She insisted she needed everything in it. She unpacked, we sorted and then left out all the books, notebooks, folders and supplies that were no longer useful or could be placed somewhere else. What a difference it made. It was so freeing, liberating, comfortable. She was able to unload what was weighing her down.
In Philippians 3:13 Paul tells us, “Forgetting the things that are behind and reaching out for the things that are ahead.” As we reach out for what’s ahead of us, we certainly don’t want to be weighed down with those things that will hold us back.
Take inventory. What can you release, let go of, unload?
- Drainers: There are people who fill you up and people who drain you. Identify the “drainers” and make minimal contact with them. Of course, there are a few “drainers” we have to interact with, but find a way to improve the relationship or keep it from holding you back. Unload drainers. UPLOAD SUSTAINERS!
- Refrain: Eliminate those activities and commitments that are not bringing you joy. Remember, you clean out your closet and sometimes you have to clean out tasks and responsibilities that you are no longer passionate about. Refrain from over-involvement.
- Rain: Release your negative outlook! Trade in that “rainy” day for a sunny one!
- No-brain: Focus. It’s so easy to get distracted. Sometimes procrastination becomes a monster. Exchange distraction and procrastination for CLARITY and FOCUS for what’s important.
- Stains: We all mess up. People and life are messy. “Shout out” the stains of failures, mistakes and misunderstandings. IT’S A NEW DAY!
- Vain: Resentment, animosity, bitterness, unforgiveness. These are poisonous; an indication that pride had taken over. Fire them and hire GRACE, PEACE, GOODWILL and FORGIVENESS.
- Pain: Ouch! Offense. Disappointment. Broken heart. The hurt can be intense. But they weigh you down. They hold you back. They keep you stuck. Toss them out the window and put on KINDNESS, CONTENTMENT, PRAISE.
- Strain: Regret means you are looking back longing for a situation that you have no power over anymore. Remember, Paul reminds us that we are to leave behind things that weigh us down and look ahead to the promises, solutions, and joy that we are assured of. Instead of the strain of regret, choose to turn to the MAIN SOURCE OF LIFE – GOD. His hand is reaching out to you.
Wow! That’s a lot to take in. Choose one area that spoke to you and share in the comments section how you are going to unload it so you aren’t weighed down by it anymore. And remember….iChoose2 Love My Life is a book that can help you unload the old and make positive choices for your life.