My neighbor started off the summer by making a list of 100 Things To Do This Summer and she and her kiddos have been having so much fun marking things off of the poster they made that is hanging on their fridge. I, on the other hand, have kept meaning to do that and hadn’t and now summer is half gone…
So, I adjusted for time’s sake and made a list of Last Minute Summer Fun Activities. Instead of 100, we have 11. Well 21 if you include my list too. Much more manageable for me and my husband and daughters are very happy with it too. So, if you’ve been meaning to have fun this summer, but haven’t gotten around to it, it’s not too late!
What prompted us to finally do our list? My daughter was harassing my husband for 45 minutes straight, saying every 5 seconds “Play with me Daddy!” This was after he had just played house with her for over an hour and they had also gone on a father/daughter adventure to get frozen yogurt before that. It was the in-home equivalent to “Are we there yet?” over and over and over on a cross country road trip. We’d had enough and eventually my husband snuck off for a break to watch some guys throw some sort of ball on t.v. and I was left with a frustrated and frustrating 6 year old. And so we finally started our list.
This is what we came up with:
- Go to the Explorium Children’s Museum (I had already purchased a Groupon, we just needed to plan when to go)
- Play with friends (She wanted to plan a couple of playdates with some of her besties)
- New fish (Need another buddy for her lonely goldfish)
- Water Balloon Fight
- Lemonade stand
- Play in puddles
- Play with Daddy (That one was still fresh on her mind)
- Go swimming
- Get ice cream from the ice cream truck
- Sing in front of people (She loves to perform)
- Family Time
Hopefully this list will get your creative juices flowing. To help you with your grown-up list, some things that I want to do before summer comes to a close are:
- Go on a date with the hubby to a free concert in the park held in our town
- Go to a drive-in movie
- Pool party at our friends’ house
- Family picnic by the lake
- Weekend staycation with hubby while kiddos are at their grandparents
- Use the gift certificate for a massage that I’ve been carrying around in my purse since my birthday in May
- Family community service project
- Visit my sister at her new house
- Mini-reunion with cousins for pool party
- Go to local art fair
If you spend some time thinking and praying about the opportunities you have around you, I’m sure you can come up with some great things to do on your own and as a family. Be sure to get your friends and family in on the fun! You might find the planning to be almost as fun as the doing. It’s not too late for last minute summer fun. You just need to get started. Now go have some fun!
We love to hear from you! Share something you or your family hope to do before summer ends by leaving a comment below.
Photo credit: mysza831 / Foter / CC BY