One of my favorite ways to invest in my girlfriends is to give them just because gifts. This is one of the ways I like to show my love for the special women in my life. Since February is often known as the month of love, this is a great time to talk about how to love and serve others!
When I was divorced almost three years ago, I became a single woman; a place I hadn’t been in over 30 years! After getting used to this new role, I found God showing me how to serve other single women. I had been giving “just because” gifts to my family and friends for years, so I had plenty of ideas stored up! Click here for other Just Because Gift Ideas.
After my own divorce experience, I found myself wanting to serve my single girlfriends in unique ways- I wanted to fill voids and gaps I now felt. So, let me share a few ideas of “just because” gifts for your single girlfriends; many of these gifts were given to me by thoughtful friends:
- Extend a dinner invitation. One of the hardest things about being single is cooking for one. And because I was a new empty nester, I missed my family around the table! The meal doesn’t have to be fancy- it can be take out- just include your friend to share a meal. She’ll enjoy the conversation as much as the food!
- A coupon book of your time. You might include a coupon for checking on your girlfriend’s house and bringing in the mail while she is out-of-town. Or, offer to take her to a medical appointment or procedure. I can remember the first time I had my eyes examined and pupils dilated after the divorce. I forgot that my ex-husband would pick me up- I usually couldn’t see to drive home. That day, I sat in the parking lot with my sunglasses on until I could safely drive home!
- Send flowers! Most women love receiving flowers, but they have taken on a whole new meaning to me as a single woman. They fill my home with color, fragrance, and beauty- they make me feel feminine and special!
- Send a card or letter through good old-fashioned snail mail! E-cards are quick and easy and are still very thoughtful. But, now that I live alone, there’s something truly delightful about walking to the mailbox and pulling out a card…. it took that extra effort and love. Try to remember your single gals’ birthdays and other holidays- they will appreciate being remembered!
- Offer to pick up your friend and take her to church, Book Club, holiday party, etc. Even though I used to go places alone as a married woman, this became much more difficult as a single person. Don’t just ask your girlfriend to sit with you and possibly your family; go get her! This was something that surprised me as being difficult; your girlfriend may feel the same way!
I hope you will spread love to others all year, not just during the Valentine’s Day season. I think you will find as much joy giving just because gifts to your friends as I do! I would love to know your favorite just because gift ideas.