We all have things we’d like to change about our lives. It could be a physical feature we aren’t happy with, a job that isn’t satisfying, a home that needs updates, or a dream that hasn’t come to fruition yet. I want to challenge you today to find a way to love where you are now while you’re on your way to (you fill in the blank).
The key to loving your life while you are working toward and praying toward your goals is to be thankful-out loud- for all that you have and for who you are. Yes, right now! Look over your life and count the answered prayers you are living today. Many of the prayers God has answered for you have become a source of your complaining. I don’t think we realize we are even doing it! Here are some examples I know I’ve seen in my own life:
- Laundry: “I can never keep this laundry caught up!”
- Demands on my schedule: “With all that I do for my kids & husband, I’m left with little time to do what I want to do.”
- Cleaning: “I can’t clean up as fast as we make messes around here.”
We need to shift our thinking from complaining to being thankful in all things.
“Give thanks in all circumstances for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:18
When we approach our lives with an attitude of Thanksgiving, it brings joy into our lives…our imperfect lives that may still be full of goals not met yet and dreams that can seem far off. Still, even in those moments, we can truly LOVE our lives when we choose to give thanks while waiting.
- Laundry: “Thank you Lord for the clothes you’ve given me and the family that I have who wear them. Thank you that they are able to move, work, play, and get them dirty! Thank you for my washer and dryer that does most of the work for me too!”
- Demands on my schedule: “Thank you for giving me people who need me. Show me how to best use my time, how to be of service to them, and how to do things efficiently so I am not wasting the time you give me. Show me how to also make time for myself a priority so I am refreshed and effective.”
- Cleaning: “Thank you for my home, car, dishes, floors etc. I know these are a blessing from you and I want to take good care of what you have given me while I am waiting for what is next.”
When we look at our lives with gratitude and are truly thankful for what we have, life is so much better! We can choose to love where we are while even while we are waiting to where we want to go. It is a daily, sometimes moment-by-moment choice that makes all the difference.
I love to hear from you! Leave a comment telling me about something you’ve learned to give thanks for instead of complain about?