In Part 1, https://ibloom.co/blog/empty-nesters-enjoy-years-part/, I talked about:
1. RECONNECTING with your husband and/or yourself
2. RECONNECTING with God.
In Part 2, https://ibloom.co/blog/empty-nesters-enjoy-years-part-2/, you discovered the value of:
3. RECONNECTING with friends
4. COMMUNICATING with family members
5. EMBRACE INTERESTS by revitalizing old interests and
6. Exploring new interests
Two more tips this week will help you transition into empty nest years for some of the best years yet!
7. Embrace Interests: Create a Reading List
Sitting and reading used to be a luxury. NOW you can luxuriate daily in wonderful reading material. Choose a “reading” spot in your home. Make it cozy, comfy and inviting. Add a quilt or soft blanket. Make sure you have a place to put your coffee or tea. A cute lamp is functional and adds to the ambiance. And have a highlighter, page flags, pen and notepad for recording tidbits you want to remember. Place a pretty basket by that comfy chair to hold your magazines, devotional, Bible and books for reading.
Select a few books for your reading time. Let these questions guide you in selecting reading material:
- Ask close friends for reading recommendations
- Is there a fiction series you’ve been eager to read?
- What non-fiction topics are you interested in: leadership; photography; health; investing; a biography?
- How do you want to grow spiritually? What author or topic will stimulate spiritual growth?
- What inspires you? What theme will motivate you in a positive way?
Now…settle in and ENJOY!!
8. Redesign your house and/or life
Life is full of restarts: middle school to high school; high school to college; starting any new job; marriage; having kids; and now the empty nest years. Each life stage presents an opportunity to do some redesigning. Maybe this is a good time to redesign your house. Or maybe your life needs a bit of renovation.
If your house needs redesigning, follow these steps:
- Throw away, give away, sell EVERYTHING you don’t need anymore. Be ruthless about this. Get rid of it!!
- Select YOUR colors – colors that make you feel GREAT!
- Layer as you redesign: start with carpet or area rugs; add wooden furniture then upholstered furniture; select interesting lighting; choose artwork that means something to you, like scenes from places you’ve traveled, artists you enjoy, scenes that inspire you; choose interesting throw pillows; and then add accessories. Don’t clutter but add accessories that let your personality shine.
- Remember to use interesting colors, shapes, textures and designs.
To redesign your LIFE, remember the layering effect:
- Take inventory of all your activities and “retire” from the ones that are no longer serving you.
- Surround yourself with people and activities that bring out your best.
- Layer as you decorate your life:
– Flooring: identify what’s most important to you and make sure those people and activities are the foundation of your life.
– Schedule regular time with people who are most important to you.
– Schedule regular time doing something you are really interested in.
– Identify what you want to focus on for good health and take steps to get you there.
– Go through your closet and accessories. Get rid of out of style items and things you just don’t feel good in anymore. Shop for a few new stylish items that show off the new you.
– Plan a trip to someplace you’ve dreamed of going to.
– Learn something new.
This new life stage is a time for you to redesign yourself, your activities and your surroundings. The empty nest years will be some of your best years yet!
Please leave a comment and share some of your favorite books or how you are redesigning your home and/or life!! And watch for Part 5 of this blog series.
Photo credit: SalFalko / Foter / CC BY-NC