For so many of us right now, we are spending time thinking through our goals and/or resolutions for 2015. The things that we want to see happen, the milestones we want to reach, the difference we want to make, and the changes that we want to take place.
Today, I want to specifically help YOU create your 2015 social media goals by listing some key questions that you will want to answer.
As we already know, succeeding on social media takes time. But the problem with so many platforms today is that far too many business owners just have a “post when I feel like it” strategy. They haven’t really given any thought to their platforms and what success looks like to them. So today, here’s my challenge for you: grab a notebook and spend some time really digging deep and answering these questions. I promise, if you take the time to do this now, your social media platforms can and will look different in 2015!
- Why do I want to be on social media in 2015? Don’t just say, “Because I want to build my business.” Instead, think about the deeper ways that you can really make a difference via social media. Why do you want to build your business? What kind of difference can your business make on social media?
- What platforms was I active on this year? The platforms that you were active on this year, did they work? Were you consistent? Did you like the platforms? Is your ideal client on that platform?
- What platforms will I be active on in 2015? Remember, you do not need to be active on every platform. Choose 1-3 platforms that you will give your time too and invest in. Find out what platforms your ideal client is on. Make a decision to stick with those platforms throughout 2015.
- What worked and didn’t work on your platforms this past year? It’s always a good idea to look back on your platforms and see what worked well and what didn’t. This will give you insight into what you should continue doing in 2015 and what you shouldn’t.
- What makes you different from your competitors? How can you capitalize on that difference on your social media platforms? How will you build an awareness of that difference on your platforms? How will you stand out?
- How will you being active on social media impact your community in a positive way? Remember, it’s not about us; it’s about our community. How will you bring value to them? How will you fill an ache? How will you provide a solution?
- What growth do you want to see on your platforms? Get specific here! How many page likes do you want to see on Facebook? How many followers do you want to see on Twitter and Instagram? And then write out, how you will get there. Will you take part in advertising? Will you spend 30-minutes a day strategically following people and engaging with them?
- Who will you connect with in 2015? Who are the influencers/the people that you want to connect with? Make a list in Facebook and Twitter of these people and then, take time on a daily basis to engage with them. Get to know them. Here’s a quick example: I just created my “Get To Know List” in Twitter. I strategically places people in this list based on the conferences that I hope to attend in 2015. Everyday, I will go through this list and engage with these individuals. You need to do the same.
- What hashtags will you use on a consistent basis? Whether we want to admit it or not, hashtags matter. Choose 3-5 hashtags that are popular in your industry and use them on a regular basis. These hashtags will help you be found and they will help you connect. Figure out right now what hashtags you will use throughout 2015.
- Lastly, what does social media success in 2015 look like for you? In December of 2015, when you look at your platforms, what will bring a smile to your face? What will you be proud of?
Success on social media is possible! But you have to be willing to take the time to really think through and write down how you will reach those goals for your platforms! And now is the perfect time to do just that!
Share with me below, what do you hope to do differently in 2015 on your social media platforms?
PS: If you are really interested in starting off on the right foot with social media in 2015, be sure to check out my 2-day Social Media Strategy Training! You can find all the details HERE.