Maybe you don’t consider yourself “in full-time ministry.” Maybe you reserve that description to a pastor in a church. However, God ordained work, gave you interests and abilities and planted you right where He wants you to be – to work AND to complete His work – right where you are. Every Good Endeavor, by Timothy Geller connects your work to God’s work. And Lead for God’s Sake, by Todd G. Gongwer, takes you a step further, connecting the deep part of YOU with how you lead in life.
Maybe work, design, purpose, leadership collide…or maybe God directs every part of us to link together for HIS purpose. I’m sharing 9 valuable, connecting points from these two books and one quote from, well, let’s just say a “woman of character.”
- ALL of us are in full-time ministry. The work God gave us is the work that fits His design for us, benefits others in some way AND contributes to field we are in.
- Your work is a channel of God’s loving provision for the world.
- Because of the fall, our work will bear fruit though it will always fall short of its promise. Work will be both frustrating and fulfilling. And sometimes, we even get a glimpse of what it will be like again in the new heavens and new earth.
- We are all leaders. We influence others. And with influence comes responsibility. We take responsibility for our contribution, our mistakes, and our integrity.
- Know that God has you in your purpose. Commit to living out your purpose today, being the best you can be, right where you are.
- Relationships lie at the center of your purpose. Relationships are a major force behind everything you do.
- God is the center of all your priorities. God is at the center of everything in your life.
- Listen to the hearts of those God has put in your life. I challenge you to think about what that looks like – listen to the HEARTS of the people God puts in your life. We build an unshakeable foundation for life in our relationship with Jesus. Then we build on that foundation by fostering all the other relationships around us.
- One main leadership theme I ascribe to is that I want to raise up leaders who surpass me in every way!
- And in the words of Cinderella – you know – Cinderella 2015 – “Have Courage and Be Kind.”
The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup; you hold my lot.
The lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; indeed, I have a beautiful inheritance.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.
I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.
Therefore my heart is glad, and my whole being rejoices; my flesh also dwells secure.
You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
Lord, I pray that we embrace the work you’ve given us to do. I pray that we face the daily frustrations with courage and kindness knowing you have gone before us and are leading the way. May we KNOW that our work IS full-time ministry – you work through each of us as your loving provision in the world. I pray we will feel your nudge, your whisper and become aware of how to listen to hearts.
Psalm 90:17 (NIV)
May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.
Please share which of these points stands out to you and why.