I knew there was a better way – a way out of this Post-it note obsession. Like in the song, “Toxic” they were claiming way too much of my life! Mmmmm…I yearned for the sweet relief of freedom from the multiplying colorful papers that were taking over my life. Maybe these confessions of a recovering post-it note freak will help you too! And the solutions I discovered just might have you “Dancin’ in the Streets!”
At first there were just a few. Blue, pink and orange paper squares stuck to my mirror, microwave, and dashboard. Ha! Not to mention the ones crumpled in my purse. Each contained a reminder, an assignment, something I needed to complete, a quote from a book I was reading or an addition to my grocery list. I’d even stick one on my husband’s desk to remind him of an appointment or to tell him where I was going.
Then it started escalating. In Target they called to me. Oh such lovely new colors – teal, tangerine and lime green. There were star-shaped ones and heart-shaped ones. I used them to mark piles on my desk and to jot down phone numbers. I carefully picked the color to stick on the door to the garage to remind me to get gas.
I KNEW this was not an efficient system. I KNEW it was confusing my mind more than helping. I KNEW I was hooked yet I was looking for a way OUT! I needed to “Let it (them) Go!”
And then, the soundtrack to my life changed. Finally I could sing, “Bye Bye Blackbird,” and “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” no more. In my freedom I wondered, “Could it Be Magic” and celebrated, “It’s a Miracle!” I am now clapping along with “Happy!” Let me share just a bit of my Happy with you:
- iBloom Planner https://ibloom.co/planner/ Now, instead of leaving post-it notes all over the house I put everything right in my planner. Here’s how:
* In the My Yearly Plan section I list my PRIORITIES, my GOALS, PROJECTS and ACTION PLANS. On the book list I write important points about the books I read.
* I determine my goals each month and write in important dates on the monthly calendar.
* And here’s my FAVORITE part! Each week there is a place to write out main headings for my weekly activities. For example I have Webinar, Blog, Professional Women’s Fellowship, Church Responsibilities, Personal and Home for my headings. Then when I think of something I need to do I make my list under each heading! Bye-bye Post-its scattered everywhere!
* Then I place the to-dos from those lists under the day I plan on doing it. I can check it of when I’m finished.
* And…AND there’s a place to write in my appointments. No more pink or yellow paper squares on the microwave or strewn about my car to remind me!
- Phone: I now create lists on my phone:
* Places to take people when they visit
* Gift Ideas
* Ideas I get when I’m out and about
- Oh, and I also use my phone to let me know when there is something coming up I must remember. I use the calendar and set a reminder alarm. And I even set it to remind me to take reusable bags into each grocery store when I arrive. Very helpful!
- Now…I have to admit, I still have a couple Post-it note pads. I still jot down little love notes and reminders for my husband and put them on his desk. And I occasionally leave one on the front door or on the microwave for a message for my daughter.
I have to confess, I had to hide the leftover pads and I have to resist buying the ones with new brilliant colors. But I can now see the mirror in my bathroom, my office is neater and they no longer fly out of my purse when I reach for my wallet.
Clap along if you know what happiness is to you
Because I’m happy
Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do
Because I’m HAPPY!
Please share an idea about managing things you want to remember that makes YOU happy.