I’ll admit, when I first became active on social media, I knew NOTHING about building a personal brand. I had no clue as to the impact my posts on social media could have in my life, business, and ministry.
Your personal brand is one of the most important key ingredients to building an unforgettable presence online. It’s the one key area that will allow you to connect with others in a real, authentic way. And, it’s one of the key ways that others will come to trust you and want to partner with you. And whether you realize it or not, you do have a personal brand.
So what is a personal brand? Here’s my definition:
“A successful personal brand is about accepting who you are and realizing the power and value of what you have to offer. When you allow yourself to take joy in who you are instead of trying to do and follow what all the other gurus in your field are doing, then your personal brand will grow. And when your personal brand grows, the opportunities will open for you and you’ll make a difference that lasts.”
Creating a personal brand is about not being afraid to think differently and do things differently. Being different and seeing things differently is to your advantage; you become unforgettable. And when you become unforgettable (in a good way), you are then worth following. Your goal with personal branding is to showcase your difference and to showcase why you are worth following.
So, how do you create a personal brand that is different? Here are some tips:
- Make a careful exploration of who you are: Do you know who you are? Do you know the gifts, skills and talents that make you different and unique? What are your strengths, passions and values? What makes you stand out? What would other people say about you that makes you different? Take time to study you, not your competitor.
- What will be your area of expertise? Don’t get caught up in the trap of trying to be all things to all people. Don’t feel like you have to know it all. Instead, focus on that one area that you can become known for; that one area of expertise. This alone will set you apart. Get niche specific. What do you want to become known for?
- What will be your main message? I believe in the power of story, the power of that one main message. What one main message do you want to become known for? This main message can be around your area of expertise. Don’t confuse your audience with multiple messages. Just like you want to become known for one area of expertise, allow yourself to become known for one main message that is different than all the other messages that are out there.
- How do you add value? What value can people expect to get from you? What’s the benefit of doing business with you over your competitor? What specific value do you bring on a consistent basis?
Being different is the first step to creating a successful personal brand. And to be different, you have to know:
- Who are you? What makes you unique?
- What are you the expert in?
- What is your main message?
- How do you add value?
The second part to creating a successful personal brand is knowing how to market yourself so that ultimately, you are worth following. Here are some ways to do just that:
- Who are your contacts? Take time and write down everyone that you know. Who are they and how can you help each other?
- Get active on social media: In today’s day and age, social media is a must. Never has there been a time where small business owners can share their business, their organization, and their message with people all over the world. Use it to your advantage. Also, join groups on social media. Get to know others, help answer the questions that others have; questions that you have the answers to. Key Point: Be consistent across all of your social media profiles. And don’t feel like you have to be on every single platform. Choose 1-3 platforms that your ideal client is on and then be consistent on those.
- Create Videos: Don’t be afraid to start sharing some live videos where you share value. Give people the opportunity to get to know you by seeing you on a regular basis.
- Get out and speak: Even if it’s for free, speaking is one of the best ways to build your personal brand, awareness around who you are and what you have to offer. Offer workshops; offer to speak at conferences and luncheons. Don’t be afraid to get out there. And as you continue to build your influence and reputation, you can start charging for your speaking.
Your goal with personal branding is to showcase your difference and to showcase why you are worth following.
When you allow yourself to #BeDifferent and #BeWorthFollowing, you will then allow yourself to walk through the many open doors that will present themselves to you.
Share with me below, what area do you get “stuck” in when it comes to personal branding? How can I help you move forward?