Great social media managers are few and far between. Businesses, ministries and organizations that continue to “hire” or use volunteers/interns who have no social media training or experience, will unfortunately, not see the results that they were hoping for. Soon they will realize the difference between a great and not-so-great social media manager.
Social media management is so much more than just posting some fun, witty posts throughout the day. You want a social media manager who really gets your business and can share your message with your ideal customers. THAT is what will grow your business, ministry, organization and influence online.
So, what makes a GREAT social media manager? Here are some qualities to specifically look for:
1) They are their own BEST example: Spend some time researching their platforms. Are they active? Are they engaging? Are they posting engaging content? How are they responding to people? How do they respond to people who disagree with them? What do the majority of their posts consist of? Do they spend too much time on soapboxes and online debates? Are they helping people online? What are they liking? What are they retweeting? What pictures are they posting?
These are just a few of the questions you should be asking yourself as you seek out a social media manager. Their personal profiles will speak VOLUMES to you!
2) Have they been trained? I really believe this is key. In today’s fast moving social media world, it’s so very easy for people to announce that they are a social media manager, but yet, they haven’t taken part in any kind of training. NOTHING replaces the value behind someone who not only invested in learning social media skills at a deeper level but also someone who has invested in a group that helps them move forward in becoming a great social media manager.
If they have not taken part in any training and have no community that they are a part of (social media inner circle), then beware. Social media moves at a VERY fast pace and truth be told, we need each other!
3) Do they love researching? Yes, social media is all about researching. What’s working, what’s not working, new updates, changes, influencers, hashtags, copy, etc. A BIG part of a social media manager’s job will include researching and because of this, they have to have the ability to search out the answers on their own. The have to have the ability and desire to dig deep. When was the last time they researched something that they needed an answer to and then acted upon it? Don’t be afraid to ask them this.
4) Do they love writing? Social media is so much more than just posting. It requires creative writing. It requires the ability to tell stories and to bring people in. As more and more social media platforms get specific about what they will and will not show, it’s imperative that your social media manager has a love for writing, storytelling and creating content that fits with your audience.
5) Do they love helping others? Social care is imperative and more and more people are starting to use social media to meet their customer service needs. You need a social media manager that not only loves helping people, but someone who is patient and responsive. Someone who will do whatever it takes to help your customers succeed.
6) They are consistent and dependable: Social media success requires consistency and if you want your platforms to succeed, you need a social media manager that is not only consistent, but someone who has a plan and is dependable.
7) They are teachable: A successful social media manager has to learn the ins and outs of your business. They need to learn about your ideal client and the voice of your business. It is VITALLY important that your social media manager be teachable. That they partner with you to help make your platforms a success. If they can’t handle learning from you and learning about your business, then it’s time to find a new manager.
8) They avoid burnout: A successful social media manager avoids burnout by taking time for themselves. This is an important quality that you need to be on the lookout for. Social media never sleeps, but your manager must sleep and get rest. They must be able to live into their priorities. They must be able to spend time with their family. If they don’t, they will burn out quickly and leave you empty handed. As you look for a social media manager, look for someone who is taking part in the life of his or her family. What was the last fun activity they did together as a family? What was the last book they read? What hobbies are they pursuing? This will give you great insight into whether or not they are taking time out for themselves.
Hiring a great social media manager will not only allow you to live into your priorities, but it will also allow you to work on those things that only you can do, those things that are in your brilliance zone. Just make sure that when you do hire, that you find a manager that has each of the qualities listed above. And if you need recommendations of a great SM Manager, feel free to contact me! I have some great ladies that are available to help YOU shine online!
Share with me below, what qualities do you look for in a social media manager?
PS: Interested in becoming a social media manager? Be sure to check out my ELITE training HERE.