I am celebrating my birthday this week. Since my age is now over the California speed limit, I may “floor” it at times and live as vibrantly as I possibly can and other times I might just “pull over into the slow lane” and savor the scenery. But the ONE thing I’m determined to do is to explore new “roads”, keep my “fuel tank” optimal and “shine” up my attitude every day!
I’ve put together a list of 25 things I’ve learned along the road of life – bumpy at times, through unknown territory and past exquisite scenery. Maybe what I’VE learned will make YOUR path brighter
- Guard against hurry. It makes you sick.
- Happiness is within you. Share it with others.
- Be a friend. Only THEN will you have friends.
- God loves me because of who God is…not because of anything I have or haven’t done.
- Be gracious. I repeat, be gracious.
- Beauty secrets: kindness and joy.
- Live in Technicolor – bold, vibrant, confident
- Install an internal security alarm against OFFENSE. It’s PRIDE in disguise and will make your heart, face and actions downright ugly! Shoo it away!
- Get up and dance 10 minutes of every hour. Okay, if you don’t want to dance, just MOVE!
- Look the grocery bagger (cashier, waitress, mailperson, receptionist, etc.) in the eye and say “Thank you.” (with a smile, of course)
- Adore the Lord. Use each letter of the alphabet to think of a word that shows adulation to God: You are ALMIGHTY God; Your BEAUTY surrounds me; When I CALL to you I know you hear and answer; I DELIGHT in your power and love; etc.
- Know your strengths and make sure you are using them everyday.
- Compliment others. A lot! Specifically. Genuinely.
- Try something new once a week: a new route to a familiar place; a different restaurant; choose a new recipe; go to a city you’ve never been to; pick out a new lipstick color; buy flowers you wouldn’t typically buy; invite someone you don’t know well to coffee; walk a different path; learn a new skill on your computer or phone; listen to a different genre of music. You get the idea.
- Invite people over to your house for a meal or appetizers or dessert. Your house does NOT have to be perfectly clean. Just invite people over!
- Look for a good belly laugh every day!
- Take pictures. Print out your favorites and frame them. Change them out and put new pictures in the frames.
- Take risks. Get out of your comfort zone.
- When you look in the mirror in the morning, say “Ta-Da!”
- Mentor others: informally; formally; indirectly. Mentor.
- Tune in and learn to tell stories well! Draw others in; be descriptive but keep it brief; find the humor and/or share the lesson.
- Celebrate! Take time to simply CELEBRATE!
- Live intentionally. Don’t skim life – LIVE life.
- Savor the moments.
- Sit in God’s presence. Let Him fill you. Receive what He has for you!
“Live to bring out the best in others. Love extravagantly.” (Ephesians 5:1-2 MSG)
Please share some of the life wisdoms you have learned.