Effective handouts used for online classes or live events are a great tool for participants to take notes and record their next steps. Use them as a visual to keep people with you and a place to put your contact information. Whether doing live events, teleclasses or webinars follow these ten tips for effective handouts.
- Design a professional and appealing handout. It is a reflection on YOU and your business so hire someone to do it for you if that is not your strength.
- Create a clear and uncluttered handout. Include your main points, space for taking notes, summary and invitation to take a next step with you.
- Include a place for the participants to write their takeaways or next steps after your message, teleclass or webinar.
- Incorporate your logo, name, title, website and email.
- Add “texture” with a couple quotes, scripture, graphics or a sidebar.
- Condense it to fit on the front and back of one piece of paper. People are more likely to keep a one page handout.
- Include a short bio and contact information. If you have a special offer, add that to the handout.
- If you are speaking at a live event, ask the event coordinator to have the handout printed out and ready for the event. Make sure your handout looks good printed in black and white. Some organizations don’t have color printing capability.
- Take a copy with you to the event in case the event coordinator leaves them at home. Speaking locations usually have a copy machine. Ask someone to make the copies there.
- When you are hosting a teleclass or webinar, email the handout with the reminder and class info.
You can do it! Create a powerful handout that can be used as a visual and reminder that YOU are an expert in your field. Remember these 10 tips for effective handouts the next time you speak at a live event or host a teleclass or webinar.